[Python-Dev] multiple recursion limit bugs

Jack Jansen Jack.Jansen@oratrix.com
Mon, 11 Mar 2002 16:50:27 +0100

On Sunday, March 10, 2002, at 02:39 , Skip Montanaro wrote:

> I've been poking through the open bugs and patches(*).  I've run
> across a
> few bug reports about this.  There is a very brief mention of this
> problem
> in the re module doc:
>
>     sre is the default implementation and includes Unicode support, but
> may
>     run into stack limitations for some patterns.
>
> I recently added an example that demonstrates the problem, but I think
> the
> main issue is that the limitation needs to be better documented.  We can
> then close most/all of these bug reports as "not a bug" or "known
> implementation limitation".  Does this seem like the right approach?

As long as all the stack overflow possibilities are protected with
PyOS_CheckStack() calls. In the past that wasn't always the case, and
this created havoc on operating systems without hardware stack limits.
http://www.cwi.nl/~jack -
Goldman -