Version Fatigue (was: Re: [Python-Dev] PEP 292, Simpler String Substitutions)

Peter Funk pf@artcom-gmbh.de
Thu, 20 Jun 2002 16:37:26 +0200 (CEST)

Oren Tirosh:
> From what I've read on this thread so far my vote would be:
>
> +1 - no new forms of string formatting
> +0 - Donald Beaudry's proposal that %{name} would be equivalent to %(name)s
> -1 - anything else

/. just had a pointer to a feature defining the term "Version Fatigue":
   http://slashdot.org/articles/02/06/20/1223247.shtml?tid=126

"""Version fatigue comes from the accumulated realization that most
   knowledge gained with regard to any particular version of a product
   will be useless with regard to future generations of that same product."""

Thinking about that and recent Python development:

<> operator called "obsolescent",  iterators, generators, list
comprehensions, ugly '//' operator introduced for integer division,
deprecating import string, types, possibly adding "$name".sub(),
may be later deprecating the % operator.  What next?

Regards, Peter
--
Peter Funk, Oldenburger Str.86, D-27777 Ganderkesee, Germany, Fax:+49 4222950260
office: +49 421 20419-0 (ArtCom GmbH, Grazer Str.8, D-28359 Bremen, Germany)