[Python-Dev] Re: PEP 1, PEP Purpose and Guidelines

Steve Holden sholden@holdenweb.com
Mon, 29 Jul 2002 23:43:23 -0400

----- Original Message -----
From: "François Pinard" <pinard@iro.umontreal.ca>
To: "Barry A. Warsaw" <barry@zope.com>
Cc: <python-list@python.org>; <python-dev@python.org>
Sent: Monday, July 29, 2002 7:05 PM
Subject: [Python-Dev] Re: PEP 1, PEP Purpose and Guidelines

> [Barry A. Warsaw]
>
> > It has been a while since I posted a copy of PEP 1 to the mailing
> > lists and newsgroups.
>
> Thanks for giving me this opportunity.  There is a tiny detail that
> bothers me:
>
> >     The format of the author entry should be
> >         address@dom.ain (Random J. User)
> >     if the email address is included, and just
> >         Random J. User
> >     if the address is not given.
>
> This makes me jump fifteen years behind (or so, I do not remember times),
> at the time of the great push so the Internet prefers:
>
>        Random J. User <address@dom.ain>
>
> It is more reasonable to always give the real name, optionally followed by
> an email, that to consider that the real name is a mere comment for the
> email address.  Oh, I know some hackers who praise themselves as login
> names or dream having positronic brains :-), but most of us are humans
> before anything else!
>
> Could the PEP be reformulated, at least, for leaving the choice opened?

Should we instead say that any acceptable RFC822 address would be an
acceptable alternative for a simple name? If so you'd get naiive mail users
complaining that they couldn't reach "@python.org:sholden@holdenweb.com"
(for example).

I don't really see why the address format has to agree with any particular
other format: if you're going to use it in a program then there's no reason
why you shouldn't mangle it into whatever form you (or your
possibly-crippled software) requires :-)

The major benefit of the present situation is that it's well-defined. I
don't feel additional alternatived would be helpful here, especially when
the existing format is RFC822-compliant.

though-i-admit-i'm-not-up-to-speed-on-rfc2822-ly y'rs  - steve
Steve Holden                                 http://www.holdenweb.com/
Python Web Programming                http://pydish.holdenweb.com/pwp/