[Python-Dev] next vs darwin

Steven Majewski sdm7g@Virginia.EDU
Thu, 31 Jan 2002 17:55:22 -0500 (EST)

On Thu, 31 Jan 2002, Jack Jansen wrote:

> I'm not too thrilled with dlcompat. First and foremost, it fixes
> some problems for some people but may introduce problems for
> others (if I understand correctly). And then there's the issue
> of it not being part of the base MacOSX distribution.
>
> I now have a dynload_next.c (that I'll check in tomorrow) that
> can behave in two ways based on a #define.
>
> With the define off it loads every extension module in a
> separate namespace, i.e. two independent modules can never break
> each other by supplying external symbols the other module
> expected to load from a completely different place.
>
> With the define on it loads all extension modules into the
> application namespace. [...]

Did you see the version I posted a day or two ago:

If I fixed up the #ifdef macros, you could compile that three
ways (at least): Global public symbols, Private Symbols, or
the dlcompat trick. ( But it uses that magic hook into the
non-public API from dlcompat. )

My main requirement is the better error reporting.

-- Steve