[Python-Dev] Re: PEP 277: Unicode file name support for Windows NT, was PEP-time ? ...

Jack Jansen Jack.Jansen@oratrix.nl
Thu, 17 Jan 2002 22:09:20 +0100

On Thursday, January 17, 2002, at 08:31  PM, Neil Hodgson wrote:

>> What kind of checks do you have in mind then ? If possible, it should
>> be possible to pass unicodefilenames() a path to check for Unicode-
>> capability, since on Unix (and probably Mac OS X as well), the path
>> decides which file system get's the ioctrl calls.
>
>    Any platform experts know how this works on MacOS X or BeOS? Do
> non-native file systems get mapped to Unicode names so that UTF-8 will
> always work?

For Mac OS X: yes, that is how it is supposed to work.
http://www.cwi.nl/~jack -
- If I can't dance I don't want to be part of your revolution --
Emma Goldman -