[Python-Dev] 2.1.2 release -- do we need a beta?

Barry A. Warsaw barry@zope.com
Thu, 10 Jan 2002 10:29:57 -0500

    GvR> Do we need a beta for the 2.1.2 release?  I think it might be
    GvR> prudent -- Anthony's last-minute checking of a critical fix
    GvR> to a bug that prevented compilation on one platform points
    GvR> this out again.

    GvR> The alternative is to be optimistic, and to quickly release
    GvR> 2.1.3 if 2.1.2 has a problem that we discover after its
    GvR> release.

We should be prepared for this in any case.

    GvR> Opinions?  I think a beta is prudent, and it shouldn't cost
    GvR> too much more in effort -- if we're lucky, nothing changes
    GvR> and we just fiddle some version numbers.  If it turns out to
    GvR> be needed, it's better than having to wear a brown bag over
    GvR> your head. :-)

I think micro releases should be as lightweight as possible so we
/can/ quickly get a new one out if a small, but important fix becomes
necessary.

I'd say do a release candidate (which will probably not get much
testing beyond those who test cvs anyway), and then get 2.1.2 final
out.

-Barry