Large file system support in 2.1.2 (was Re: [Python-Dev] release for 2.1.2, plus 2.2.1...)

Aahz Maruch aahz@rahul.net
Mon, 7 Jan 2002 17:38:33 -0800 (PST)

Barry A. Warsaw wrote:

>     MvL> "is used to create the compilation command" may be tricky to
>     MvL> implement.  Anyway, what is wrong with my earlier suggestion
>
>     | export CFLAGS OPT
>     | CFLAGS='-D_LARGEFILE64_SOURCE -D_FILE_OFFSET_BITS=64'
>     | OPT="-g -O2 $CFLAGS"
>     | ./configure
>
> Two problems:
>
> 1) This requires you to export two variables into the outer shell's
>    environment.  As a general rule, I think this is a bad idea for
>    tricking configure.  What else might you be affecting?  Others
>    might not care as much.

OTOH, if MvL's code is in a shell script, this objection doesn't apply.
--
                      --- Aahz (@pobox.com)

Hugs and backrubs -- I break Rule 6       <*>       http://www.rahul.net/aahz/

We must not let the evil of a few trample the freedoms of the many.