[Python-Dev] Feature request: better support for "wrapper" objects

M.-A. Lemburg mal@lemburg.com
Mon, 07 Jan 2002 13:08:17 +0100

Jack Jansen wrote:

> Recently, "Martin v. Loewis" <martin@v.loewis.de> said:
> > > There's a lot of Python objects that are really little more than
> > > wrappers around an opaque C pointer (plus all the methods to operate
> > > on it, etc).
> >
> > Can you give a few examples? I'm not aware of any such types, off-hand.
>
> All the Mac toolbox objects (Windows, Dialogs, Controls, Menus and a
> zillion more), All the Windows HANDLEs, all the MFC objects (although
> they might be a bit more difficult), the objects in the X11 and Motif
> modules, the pyexpat parser object, *dbm objects, dlmodule objects,
> mpz objects, zlib objects, SGI cl and al objects....
>
> Enough examples? :-)

Sounds like you want to introduce a "buffer" interface for these
objects. If that's the case, please write a PEP for it -- I don't
think anyone on this list wants to see a second can of worms
like the buffer interface in Python :-/

--
Marc-Andre Lemburg
CEO eGenix.com Software GmbH