Large file system support in 2.1.2 (was Re: [Python-Dev] release for 2.1.2, plus 2.2.1...)

Neal Norwitz neal@metaslash.com
Sun, 06 Jan 2002 19:27:31 -0500

"Barry A. Warsaw" wrote:

> Okay, I'm totally confuggled now.  Let's boil this down.  Take this
> simple program:
>
> -------------------- snip snip --------------------/tmp/foo.sh
> #! /bin/sh
> echo "OPT   = x${OPT}x"
> echo "CFLAGS= x${CFLAGS}x"
>
> and invoke it like:
>
> % CFLAGS='one' OPT="two $CFLAGS" /tmp/foo.sh

I think the intent was to use single quotes for OPT='two $CFLAGS'.
(You could also do OPT="two \$CFLAGS".)  This will pass the string
"$CFLAGS" in OPT, not the value of the shell variable $CFLAGS.

While your shell script will print out: OPT   = xtwo $CFLAGSx
This is ok since it will/should get expanded properly in the Makefile.

Or I've totally missed the point too. :-)

Neal