[Python-Dev] release for 2.1.2, plus 2.2.1...

Martin v. Loewis martin@v.loewis.de
Fri, 4 Jan 2002 20:36:51 +0100

>     MvL> I think the best approach is to copy the body of
>     MvL> _portable_fseek and _portable_ftell from 2.2. With that, I
>     MvL> get a setup that atleast looks right (patch attached)
>
> Unfortunately that's not enough, I suspect.

I can't see a problem.

> Vanilla release21-maint will give compilation failures, which go away
> with the patch (essentially what I tried on other systems).  But even
> with these patches, test_largefile fails on the seek(2**31L).

Not for me (i.e. it passes just fine). How exactly does it fail? What
version of the test?  Can you produce an strace?

> FTR: this is a stock Mandrake 8.1 system w/ glibc 2.2.4.

That should be good enough.

> I don't have much time to spend looking into this right now, but it
> would be good to fix for 2.1.2.

Somebody else should probably try this as well. I would not stop the
release for that: if it compiles fine when following the instructions,
and does the right thing for small files, I think the release should
go.

Regards,
Martin