[Python-Dev] Rattlesnake progress

Kevin Jacobs jacobs@penguin.theopalgroup.com
Tue, 19 Feb 2002 11:01:26 -0500 (EST)

On Tue, 19 Feb 2002, Daniel Berlin wrote:
> On Tuesday, February 19, 2002, at 09:51  AM, Neil Schemenauer wrote:
>
> > Daniel Berlin wrote:
> >> When you get to optimizations, you want Advanced Compiler Design and
> >> Implementation by Muchnick.
> >
> > Right now I'm not planning to do any optimizations (except perhaps
> > limiting the number of registers used).
> >
> This is, of course, a tricky optimization to do.
> Limiting registers used involves splitting live ranges at the right
> places, etc.

Why limit the number of registers at all?  So long as they fit in L1 cache
you are golden.  If not, no great loss.  Of course, this does mean that you
will want to have the ability to heap-allocate large register files, though
I suspect that frame objects do this already for fast locals (of course, I
haven't looked).

-Kevin

--
Kevin Jacobs
The OPAL Group - Enterprise Systems Architect