[Python-Dev] patch: speed up name access by up to 80%

Skip Montanaro skip@pobox.com
Mon, 11 Feb 2002 14:48:36 -0600

    Oren> Problem: Python name lookup in dictionaries is relatively slow.

    ... [ lots of interesting stuff elided ] ...

This looks pretty much like a no-brainer to me, assuming it stands up to
close scrutiny.  The only thing I'd change is that if PyDict_GetItem_Fast is
a macro that only works for interned strings, I'd change its name to reflect
its use: PyDict_GET_ITEM_INTERNED or something similar.

As a further test, I suggest you give the pystone benchmark a whirl, not
because it's such a kickass benchmark, but because it occasionally fiddles
global variable values.  I imagine it will do just fine and probably run a
bit faster to boot.

Skip