[Python-Dev] proposal: add basic time type to the standard library

Guido van Rossum guido@python.org
Fri, 08 Feb 2002 16:22:24 -0500

> Guido van Rossum writes:
>  > In that case, I take back everything I've said about Jim Fulton's
>  > requirements.  I'm quite sure that in the past he said he needed a
>  > very lightweight date/time object, but from what you say it appears
>  > this need has disappeared.
>
> He wanted this for the catalog, and I suspect he still does.  Both
> size and performance (of comparisons) were important, not rendering
> time.

Is comparison the same what Tim mentioned as range searches?  I guess
a representation like current Zope timestamps or what time.time()
returns is fine for that -- it is monononous even if not necessarily
continuous.  I guess a broken-out time tuple is much harder to compare.