[Python-Dev] Patch 640843 - split OPT into two parts

Skip Montanaro skip@pobox.com
Tue, 31 Dec 2002 11:04:24 -0600

I took a break from my fiddling with the OPT make/configure variable when I
discovered the problems with out-of-tree builds.  Andrew got that fixed a
couple days ago, so I revisited my changes.  I'd like to check them in, but
should probably wait until Guido bundles 2.3a1.  Changes are to these files:

    configure.in (and configure, of course)
    setup.py
    Makefile.pre.in
    Misc/NEWS

There are some structural changes in configure.in that make it worth a
careful look-see.  In particular, I hope I haven't bolluxed up Martin's SCO
changes from September (I can't test on that platform).

Here's the new text from Misc/NEWS:

- On systems which build using the configure script, compiler flags which
  used to be lumped together using the OPT flag have been split into two
  groups, OPT and BASECFLAGS.  OPT is meant to carry just optimization- and
  debug-related flags like "-g" and "-O3".  BASECFLAGS is meant to carry
  compiler flags that are required to get a clean compile.  On some
  platforms (many Linux flavors in particular) BASECFLAGS will be empty by
  default.  On others, such as MacOSX and SCO, it will contain required
  flags.  This change allows people building Python to override OPT without
  fear of clobbering compiler flags which are required to get a clean build.

Everything passes on both MacOSX and Mandrake 8.1 from CVS as of a few
minutes ago.

I uploaded a new context diff to SF so people can eyeball it, though I'll
wait for Guido to say "check it in".  There's one itty-bitty change to
setup.py that's unrelated.  It adds the fink directories /sw/lib and
/sw/include to the relevant search lists when building on Darwin.

Skip