[Python-Dev] Python 2.3a1 release status

Guido van Rossum guido@python.org
Tue, 31 Dec 2002 09:02:33 -0500

I'm planning for a release by 6pm EST today.

I'm happy with the changes that've been checked in overnight and the
quality control checks that have been made.  I'm waiting for one more
big change to land: an important API change to datetime.c that was
already implemented in the .py version in the sandbox.  I expect this
around lunchtime (EST) today.  Once that change is committed, I'll
create a release branch, declare a checkin moratorium for people
outside PythonLabs, and start working on the final stretch of the
release process (see PEP 101 if you want to know how much work that
is).

If you know of other pending changes that haven't been committed,
either check them in (only if they're stable, tested and documented,
of course!) or let me know ASAP.

Jack Jansen: I don't expect that you're quite ready with the Mac tree.
Or are you?  Let me know what you want me to say about the Mac in the
announcement and on the web.

The draft text for the website is already visible at
http://www.python.org/2.3/.  If you think you can use this to get some
short-term gain on the stock market, please share. :-)