[Python-Dev] test_pyclbr failling

Guido van Rossum guido@python.org
Mon, 30 Dec 2002 08:05:10 -0500

> It would be helpful if the pyclbr tests could be re-written so that
> they don't depend on an arbitrary set of unrelated modules.  While
> people should run the full test suite, it seems common to run a
> limited set of tests when you're changing a single module and
> test_pyclbr always gets skipped.

I disagree.  I maintain pyclbr.py (having mostly rewritten its main
loop last August and another major update more recently) and usually a
failure is now a symptom of a bug in pyclbr.

> (I also wonder how useful this pyclbr module is for modern Python,
> since almost every module in test_pyclbr that has been modified in the
> last year has caused tests to fail.)

That was true before my most recent rewrite.  After it, I was able to
add back a bunch of tests that were commented out, and vastly reduce
the number of exceptions for other tests.  It's still not perfect, but
a lot more so.

pyclbr is used by IDLE's class and path browser commands, so it can't
be deprecated.

I'll look into the most recent random failure.