[Python-Dev] [ 654866 ] pickle and cPickle not equivalent

Martin v. Löwis martin@v.loewis.de
17 Dec 2002 08:12:52 +0100

"Patrick K. O'Brien" <pobrien@orbtech.com> writes:

> I'd like to call attention to a bug report I just submitted to SF
> concerning a potentially serious problem with the c-version of pickle.
[...]
> I think this is a pretty serious problem, but I'm out of my league when
> it comes to debugging the c-version of pickle.

I hear such statements quite often recently, but I'm not impressed.
You have the full source, so there is no principle problem that would
make it impossible to investigate the problem yourself. It might take
you more time to investigate this than it may take somebody else, but
I'm sure you have heard about the printf function; if not, you should
read some book first.

Understanding software that does not work right is *always* difficult,
and time-consuming, because it usually looks right - atleast that's
what the author of the software thought when he wrote it.

It might be that you may not have the time to investigate this, but
then, that might hold for everybody else.

Regards,
Martin