[Python-Dev] PEP 242 Numeric kinds

Brett Cannon bac@OCF.Berkeley.EDU
Thu, 5 Dec 2002 23:12:44 -0800 (PST)

[Paul F Dubois]

> We had put off consideration of PEP 242 Numeric kinds until June 2002
> when a meeting of some interested parties was to occur but the meeting
> didn't occur. I have a draft implementation and users of it but my
> feeling is that although correct and useful the PEP is not useful enough
> to put it in the standard library. Since it really only interests
> scientific programmers I propose simply making it a separate deliverable
> on the Numeric site and withdrawing the PEP.

I say add it.  If there are already users out there then that demonstrates
as least some form of a demand.

Besides, if rationals can get into the library (that module was finally
accepted to be added to the library, right?) then a module to help do
consistent decimal math should at least be included at least until the
Python core can move to C99 (if I am remembering a comment from Tim saying
that C99 adds more explicit numeric types, e.g., exactly 2 byte float).

I just want to be able to add up a bunch of money values and not have a
few pennies disappear in the end; usually I am the one who has to eat the
loss and I am an poor college graduate who can't afford the rounding.  =)

-Brett