[Python-Dev] Can someone look at dummy_thread (#622537)?

Martin v. Löwis martin@v.loewis.de
03 Dec 2002 20:55:39 +0100

Brett Cannon <bac@OCF.Berkeley.EDU> writes:

> > I don't propose to automate this.  I propose this:
> >
> >   try:
> >     import threading
> >   except ImportError:
> >     import dummy_threading as threading
> >

> So is this an indirect request for me to write ``dumy_threading``?

I would suggest to make this

    import dummy_thread as threading

i.e. have dummy_thread expose the union of the thread and threading
APIs.

> If it is it won't be hard: I would do an ``import *`` on
> ``threading``

That wont't work: "from threading import *" will raise an ImportError.

I suggest to add dummy_thread to sys.modules, then execfile
threading.py in dummy_thread, then remove it from sys.modules.

Regards,
Martin