[Python-Dev] Re: A `cogen' module [was: Re: PEP 218 (sets); moving set.py to Lib]

David Abrahams David Abrahams" <dave@boost-consulting.com
Thu, 29 Aug 2002 02:03:24 -0400

>   TP> + The ability to override the random number generator.  Python's
>   TP>   default WH generator is showing its age as machines get
>   TP>   faster; it's simply not adequate anymore for long-running
>   TP>   programs making heavy use of it on a fast box.  Combinatorial
>   TP>   algorithms in particular do tend to make heavy use of it.
>   TP>   (Speaking of which, "someone" should look into grabbing one of
>   TP>   the Mersenne Twister extensions for Python -- that's the
>   TP>   current state of *that* art).

FWIW, in case "someone" cares: http://www.boost.org/libs/random/index.html
It's a nice library architecture, designed and implemented by people who
know the domain, and I think it should be applicable to Python.

           David Abrahams * Boost Consulting
dave@boost-consulting.com * http://www.boost-consulting.com