[Python-Dev] Re: PEP 218 (sets); moving set.py to Lib

Eric S. Raymond esr@thyrsus.com
Wed, 21 Aug 2002 05:05:27 -0400

--BOKacYhQ+x31HxR3

Martin Sj=F6gren <md9ms@mdstud.chalmers.se>:
> > Is it + for disjunction and juxtaposition for conjunction, or the other
> > way around?  Not that I've ever seen either variant.
>=20
> I've often seen it in the context of electronics. a+1 =3D 1, a0 =3D 0 and=
 so
> on. That is, + is disjunction and juxtaposition (or a multiplication
> dot) is conjunction.

Makes sense.  Hardware designers care a lot about reduction to disjunctive
normal form. Much more than logicians do, actually.
=20
> Hmm, I just realized that I've also seen it in an American book on
> discrete maths, so it's not just us Swedes ;)

Odd that I haven't encountered it.
--=20

--BOKacYhQ+x31HxR3

--BOKacYhQ+x31HxR3--