[Python-Dev] PEP 277 (unicode filenames): please review

Jack Jansen Jack.Jansen@oratrix.com
Tue, 20 Aug 2002 22:36:11 +0200

On maandag, augustus 19, 2002, at 03:36 , Matthias Urlichs wrote:

> Guido:
>>
>>  My guess it's not his listdir() or filesystem, but the keyboard
>>  driver.
>>
> No, it's MacOSX. It always uses the decomposed form.
>
> That is very noticeable via NFS volumes where files with
> combined character names are unopenable from the GUI.
> I've filed a bug report about that - i don't know whether OSX
> 10.2 will allow NFC filenames, at least read-only.

This must be an oversight (or maybe something they didn't
implement because of lack of time?). They have all the machinery
in place to do on the fly conversion of filenames, it is used
for HFS (old-style HFS, not HFS+) and SMB filesystems, where you
specify the character set of the filesystem at mount time, and
they do NFC-NFD conversion in the system call interface.
http://www.cwi.nl/~jack -
- If I can't dance I don't want to be part of your revolution --
Emma Goldman -