[Python-Dev] pystone(object)

Tim Peters tim.one@comcast.net
Sun, 18 Aug 2002 23:52:11 -0400

[Guido]
> Slots can get you back most of this, but not all.  Dict lookup is
> already extremely tight code, and when I profiled this, most of the
> time was spent there -- twice as many lookup calls using new-style
> classes than for classic classes.

As I've said, and as Oren later demonstrated with code, the cost of a
namespace dict lookup now is more in the layers of function call overhead
than in the actual lookup.  We could whittle that down in Oren-like ways,
although I'd rather we spent whatever time we can devote to stuff like this
on advancing one of the more-general optimization schemes that were a hot
topic before the Python conference.