[Python-Dev] _sre as part of python.dll

Martin v. Loewis martin@v.loewis.de
09 Aug 2002 00:10:25 +0200

"M.-A. Lemburg" <mal@lemburg.com> writes:

> > On the other hand, on my Linux installation, importing a module costs
> > 35 system calls if the module is not found, and no PYTHONPATH is set;
> > every directory in PYTHONPATH adds four additional system calls.
>
> Why not address this problem instead ?

I'm trying to: every module incorporated in config.c won't be searched
in PYTHONPATH.

> Note that mxCGIPython can help a lot here: it freeze most of the
> Python std lib into the executable making imports go really fast
> (and that's needed if you're doing a lot of CGI scripting).

Indeed, freezing also helps - but is probably only suitable for
special-purpose applications. I think people would be surprised if
they are told that editing the source of a library module won't have
any effect.

Regards,
Martin