[Python-Dev] PEP 293, Codec Error Handling Callbacks

M.-A. Lemburg mal@lemburg.com
Tue, 06 Aug 2002 12:33:30 +0200

Jack Jansen wrote:

> On Tuesday, August 6, 2002, at 11:20 , Oren Tirosh wrote:
>
>> Treating this as an error-handling issue was so counter-intuitive to me
>> that until recently I never bothered to read PEP 293. The title made me
>> think that it's completely irrelevant to my needs. After all, what I
>> wanted was to translate HTML to/from Unicode, not find a better way to
>> handle errors.
>
> I think that this is really also the gist of my misgiving about the
> design: enhancing a codec/adding extra filtering is a different thing
> than error handling. The PEP uses "error handing" in the prose, but the
> API is geared towards adding extra filtering.

That's a wrong impression. The new error handling API allows
you to do many different things base on the current position
of the codec in the input stream.

The fact that this can be used to apply escaping to otherwise
illegal mappings stems from the basics behind this new API. It's
an application, not its main purpose. Filtering can be had using
different techniques such as by stacking codecs as well.

--
Marc-Andre Lemburg
CEO eGenix.com Software GmbH