[Python-Dev] timsort for jython

Gordon McMillan gmcm@hypernet.com
Sun, 4 Aug 2002 11:41:14 -0400

On 4 Aug 2002 at 16:24, Christian Tismer wrote:

> >>I'd like to pet you for your new version,
> >

> > LOL -- that comes off a bit, umm, endearing to
> > American English ears.  But I understand the
> > sentiment, and thank you for it.
>
> I meant "to tap s.o. on the shoulder". Does this
> have the meaning of encouraging and honoring?

For that you'd use "pat", as in "pat on the back".

"Pet" means (idiomatically) "stroke affectionately",
which is what you do to household animals & sexual
partners.

And, incidentally, "tap" is "light blow" as with
hammer or finger, where "blow" used in any other
context will likely be taken to mean "oral sex"
unless you're obviously discussing movement
of a gaseous media or the act of setting off a
bomb.

And that just covers those words as verbs (and
worse, I've probably missed a few meanings).

Don't you wish German were so, er, expressive <wink>?

-- Gordon
http://www.mcmillan-inc.com/