[Python-Dev] PEP 298, __buffer__

Thomas Heller theller@python.net
Fri, 2 Aug 2002 16:23:42 +0200

[Unfortunately my email-server seems to be on vacation even earlier
than myself.
It seems I have not received some posts/replies: I'm currently reading
the archives. Hopefully this one gets through]
[Not the first time.]

Scott writes:
> There isn't currently a way for a class object created from Python script
> to indicate that it wishes to implement the buffer interface.  In the
> Numeric source, I've seen them use self.__buffer__ for this purpose, but
> this isn't actually an officially sanctioned magic name.

This is an idea I also had for quite some time (very vague, maybe).
I like it, but I haven't thought about it very carefully.

Thomas