[Python-Dev] Re: Docutils/reStructuredText is ready to process PEPs

Aahz aahz@pythoncraft.com
Thu, 1 Aug 2002 00:42:48 -0400

On Thu, Aug 01, 2002, Eric S. Raymond wrote:
> Ka-Ping Yee <python-dev@zesty.ca>:
>>
>> I am not against structured text processing systems in general.
>> I think that something of this flavour would be a great solution
>> for PEPs and docstrings, and that David has done an impressive
>> job on RST.  It's just that RST is much too big (for me).
>
> And if we're going to pay the transition costs to move to a
> heavyweight markup, it ought to be DocBook, same direction GNOME and
> KDE and the Linux kernel and FreeBSD and PHP are going.

Well, reST can generate DocBook easily enough.  The problem I see with
DocBook is the creation/editing side: XML is painful.  Having written
one presentation in pure XML/PythonPoint and another presentation in my
home-grown structured text system that then got converted to XML for
processing by PythonPoint, I'm a big believer in the *concept* of reST.

What remains to be seen is whether reST works well enough in the Real
World [tm].
--
Aahz (aahz@pythoncraft.com)           <*>         http://www.pythoncraft.com/

Project Vote Smart: http://www.vote-smart.org/