[Python-Dev] iterzip()

Neil Schemenauer nas@python.ca
Mon, 29 Apr 2002 14:35:24 -0700

Jeremy Hylton wrote:
> I've noted before that it doesn't make much sense to invoke GC unless
> there is at least one deallocation; you can't reclaim anything if
> there are no DECREFs.

It's easy to add a decref counter.  It doesn't seem to help much though
based on my limited testing.  The standard test suite does not trigger
it.  I can't get our web application to either.  Is it worth checking
in?  Maybe someone can come up with a better trick.

Note that we must take into account generations as well.  If threshold0
is low then there are lots of quick collections.  Setting it larger does
not help too much as new objects will eventually be examined (unless
they are destroyed before the next collection).

  Neil