[Python-Dev] More deprecations

M.-A. Lemburg mal@lemburg.com
Fri, 26 Apr 2002 21:02:58 +0200

Guido van Rossum wrote:

> > True and False are not hard to backport, but any new
> > features which are not replicable in Python 2.1 should not
> > go into the stdlib until we drop support for it. Then, if we
> > do, Python 2.2 should become the new reference and so on.
>
> I think that puts the priorities backwards.  If we can't develop the
> stdlib beyond what's supported by 2.1 we might as well stop
> developing.

Huh ? It's not as if Python 2.1 doesn't offer you any
means to implement whatever is needed in the standard
lib. Most things don't require using bleeding edge language
features which give 2.1/2.2 bug fix champions a hard time.

Just to clarify:
I'm talking about Python 2.1 language features here.
I'm not requesting to stop working on the standard lib,
if that's what you're reading.

--
Marc-Andre Lemburg
CEO eGenix.com Software GmbH