[Python-Dev] Significance of informational PEPs

Jeremy Hylton jeremy@zope.com
Thu, 18 Apr 2002 14:04:42 -0400

I just glaned at RFC 2026, which describes in Internet standards
process including the various kinds of RFCs.  They have two
designations that are related to our informational PEPs: informational
and experimental.

It would be good for us to have experimental PEPs, I think.  The three
name optimization PEPs fall in this category at the moment.

The informational spec seems to be a broad catch-all category, just
like for PEPs:

   An "Informational" specification is published for the general
   information of the Internet community, and does not represent an
   Internet community consensus or recommendation.  The Informational
   designation is intended to provide for the timely publication of a
   very broad range of responsible informational documents from many
   sources, subject only to editorial considerations and to verification
   that there has been adequate coordination with the standards process
   (see section 4.2.3).

BTW, I didn't like the title of the structured text PEP because it had
standard in its title, which seems contradictory for an informational
PEP.

Jeremy