[Python-Dev] Re: Stability and change

Thomas Heller thomas.heller@ion-tof.com
Wed, 10 Apr 2002 17:38:25 +0200

From: "Aahz" <aahz@pythoncraft.com>
> On Wed, Apr 10, 2002, Tim Peters wrote:
> > [Aahz]
> >> Ah.  Okay, is shipping a zip of the build tree (plus a couple of MSVCRT
> >> libraries) sufficient to run Python?
> >
> > Sufficient for whom?  Not for the typical Windows user.  It's sufficient for
> > a typical developer, but if they want a build tree they can build Python
> > themself from CVS.
>
> Not me; I don't have a Windows C compiler, and it's extremely unlikely
> that I would until I get a Win2K box.  I think that's representative of
> a large minority in the Python community.  When I said "build tree", I

Which minority ;-) Python users on windows? Windows users without compiler?

> meant after compile/link; before that, it's just a source tree.  ;-)

Most windows users won't care if it's a compiled source tree or a windows
installer - they only can test their apps if they have there most beloved
extensions installed for this new version. win32all and wxPython seem
to be most prominent. Until Mark and/or Robin make installers for those
extensions available, noone of this 'large minority' will be able to test
hist stuff.

So, only windows users with a C compiler will test the release - to see
if their own extensions do work, and they can also do it compiling the
release themselves.

Thomas