[Python-Dev] Unittests

Aahz aahz@pythoncraft.com
Wed, 10 Apr 2002 10:28:24 -0400

On Wed, Apr 10, 2002, M.-A. Lemburg wrote:
> Aahz wrote:
>> On Tue, Apr 09, 2002, Neal Norwitz wrote:
>>>
>>> whrandom.py
>>
>> This is a deprecated module, no?
>
> I certainly hope not.

Well, you hope wrong.  ;-)  Argue with the Timbot.

Actually, I think the issue of whether to deprecate whrandom is a good
concrete point to wrap the stability discussion around.  On the one
hand, it *is* a no-longer maintained module that has been superseded by
another.  random.py was certainly available as far back as 1.5.2 (just
triple-checked), and Tim at least was constantly pushing people to use
random instead of whrandom.

OTOH, I was one of the people who used whrandom back then because it was
simpler than random (don't remember why ;-).  If I were distributing
code, I can see being upset that whrandom were being deleted.

My suggestion is that whrandom get a warning in 2.3 and 2.4, then
deleted in the following version.

Note to Tim: you haven't followed PEP 4, so you can't really say that
whrandom is deprecated yet.
--
Aahz (aahz@pythoncraft.com)           <*>         http://www.pythoncraft.com/

"There are times when effort is important and necessary, but this should
not be taken as any kind of moral imperative."  --jdecker