[Python-Dev] Re: Stability and change

David Ascher DavidA@ActiveState.com
Tue, 09 Apr 2002 09:42:59 -0700

On the topic of unit tests, I wonder if it makes sense to consider a new
test directory outside of Lib/. As the test suite is beefed up
(something which I think is a great idea), the disk space requirement
for the test suite shouldn't be a factor -- the more non-overlapping
tests the better, period -- but if it's part of the library tree, space
_should_ be a concern because that stuff gets shipped to the millions of
users.

In other words, I'd like to have a test suite outside of what gets
installed.  The reason for not moving all of it out is that there is
value in being able to run a post-install test suite, but I don't think
it needs to be all of the tests.

Reactions?

--da