[Python-Dev] Re: Stability and change

Skip Montanaro skip@pobox.com
Mon, 8 Apr 2002 16:50:05 -0500

    BAW> Okay, so now I tell have to tell people that it works with any
    BAW> version between 2.4.3 and 2.6.9, not including any 2.5.x release.

Over time people should become aware that odd-numbered minor releases are
always development releases and are not to be relied upon.  Sure, you can't
say it works for 2.4.3 through 2.6.9 but you can say

    It works for 2.4.x for x >= 3 and for 2.6.x for x <= 9.

And during the initial three years of turmoil after a change to such a dual
branch structure is made you'd probably be wise to add

    No support for any development branch releases (e.g. 2.N.x, where N is
    odd) is implied.

Skip