[Python-Dev] Searching Python docs (Was: Python sidebar for Mozilla/Netscape)

David Abrahams David Abrahams" <david.abrahams@rcn.com
Fri, 5 Apr 2002 20:15:33 -0500

----- Original Message -----
From: "Guido van Rossum" <guido@python.org>

> > My guess is that most of those will be using the win32
> > distribution. Many of them will no doubt refuse to RTFM, but for
> > those who will, providing them with the docs in .chm format (and
> > actively promoting it) might cut down on the "support cost" of the
> > traffic on c.l.py.
>
> I strongly doubt that the *format* we use to provide the docs makes
> much of a difference.

*Strongly* disagree. As someone who doesn't know where everything is
using docs where many things are in the wrong place, having built-in
fast searching is absolutely essential for my work. I can just imagine
how it is for a novice... as someone who's got the whole world in his
brain, Guido, I think you should consider disqualifying yourself from
trying to intuit what people need in the documentation department.

-Dave