[Python-Dev] Pymalloc and backward compatibility

Martin v. Loewis martin@v.loewis.de
05 Apr 2002 20:27:58 +0200

Aahz <aahz@pythoncraft.com> writes:

> <scratch head>  I must be missing something here.  We're not talking
> about an end-user product, we're talking about a developer tool.  What's
> wrong with requiring a Python download for someone who at this point
> wants to *upgrade* vim from the system default?

Because requiring this software might violate company policies. For
example, Redhat cannot include more recent versions of Python in their
distribution 7.x. More precisely, they can (and do), but they cannot
have other packages depend on Python 2.x. They might be able to
upgrade vim versions, though (provided those were compatible with the
one included in 7.0). If more recent vim versions require more recent
Python versions, they cannot upgrade vim.

Now, if package xyz required a more recent vim version, they couldn't
upgrade that package, either.

Regards,
Martin