[Python-Dev] pymalloc killer

Tim Peters tim.one@comcast.net
Sun, 31 Mar 2002 22:52:13 -0500

[Guido]
> On the other hand, the less sophisticated extension writers never
> release the GIL at all.

That's an excellent point!  I don't know how much to bank it, but it's
semi-reassuring.

> All I can do is encourage you to keep trying.  I find it quite
> encouraging that you found a constant-time test for non-arena memory
> at all.

David Abrahams had the key insight there.  Those C++ guys really do have
some good ideas, if you can whittle away all the baffling syntax to get at
the pure tiny thoughts they're thinking <wink>.

> Making it thread-safe should only add a tiny constant time.

It does now, although it's balancing on a nanometer pinhead.  That's good
enough so long as nobody sneezes in the general direction of the code.