[Python-Dev] Re: [Python-checkins] CVS: python/nondist/sandbox/Lib README,NONE,1.1 davlib.py,NONE,1.1 httpx.py,NONE,1.1

Ken Manheimer klm@zope.com
Tue, 11 Sep 2001 14:57:42 -0400 (EDT)

On Tue, 11 Sep 2001, Guido van Rossum wrote:

> > Merge problems certainly increase the longer the developing code is
> > isolated from the trunk - whether or not you're using a branch for the
> > developing code.
>
> Ah, but we're talking new module/package development here, not
> modifications to existing code.  At least that's what the sandbox is
> for.

So drift (like you were mentioning for the type/class development) is
hardly an issue for or against using branches here.  I suppose the more
relevant issue is polluting the repository with stuff that winds up never
being accepted for incorporation to the distribution - forlorn files that
live forever in the Attics, and directories that show up empty until you
do a 'cvs up' with the "-P" option...

Again, i don't mean to insist on using branches instead of the sandbox.
I guess my concern is that branches do offer wins in some cases,
particularly for stuff that is clearly on track to be incorporated...

Ken