[Python-Dev] PEP 273: Import Modules from Zip Archives

James C. Ahlstrom jim@interet.com
Mon, 29 Oct 2001 09:53:26 -0500

"M.-A. Lemburg" wrote:

> 1. Why are .py files being outlawed ?

My reason was that if *.py[co] are missing or out of date,
zip importing will be slow and users won't figure
out what is wrong.  Generally I favor user-proof features
over expert features.  I prefer things which either "Just Work"
or fail spectacularly.  But I am open to changing this.

> 2. Where's the C implementation you mention in the PEP ?

Software is like pancakes, you should always
throw the first one away.  I will post it if you want,
but it is not done.

> 3. Would it be possible to ship zlib together with Python ?
>    (the zlib license should allow this and I don't think that
>    the code size is too big)

OK by me.  But uncompressed zip archives work, and may even
be faster than conpressed archives.

JimA