[Python-Dev] Goals for patch selection for 2.1.2

Tim Peters tim.one@home.com
Tue, 23 Oct 2001 01:05:59 -0400

[Jeremy]
> Do you have an opinion on the recent change to traceback.c (make it
> collectable)?  I think it's a good candidate for 2.1.2 even though it
> doesn't meet the criteria above :-).

Guido's right:  that change alone won't do any good.  Frame objects need to
be chased by gc too, else the cycle would survive.  However, adding frame
objects to gc caused a measurable slowdown, which I judged tolerable in 2.2
because 2.2 got enough non-bugfix speedup work to cancel it out (at the
time -- I expect we're losing again by now).

if-it-ain't-a-pure-self-contained-bugfix-it's-dubious-at-best-ly y'rs  - tim