[Python-Dev] conditional expressions?

Tim Peters tim.one@home.com
Tue, 16 Oct 2001 01:15:05 -0400

[Greg Ewing]
> Has the "x if c else y" idea been totally rejected?
> It doesn't require a new keyword, or parentheses to
> disambiguate from an if statement.

I was its only fan within PythonLabs, and I was lukewarm.  The trick is to
view "if c else" as a new short-circuiting infix binary operator (for each
c), and then it makes great-- even elegant --sense.  But it's apparently a
major strain to see it that way.  It had at least one sworn mortal enemy,
and I think Fred Drake was so upset at the idea that he couldn't speak.

bad-sign-in-a-wordsmith<wink>-ly y'rs  - tim