[Python-Dev] imputil and modulefinder replacements

Thomas Heller thomas.heller@ion-tof.com
Fri, 5 Oct 2001 15:36:25 +0200

> The existing import mechanism is poorly understood (just see
> how many wrong answers an import question on c.l.py gets) ...

Note that this question has recently been asked by Michael Abbot
on c.l.p, for now there are no answers:

  Is there up to date documentation for package support in Python 2?

  Section 6.11 of the "Python Reference Manual" has the following nice quote:

  [XXX Can't be bothered to spell this out right now; see the URL
  http://www.python.org/doc/essays/packages.html for more details, also about
  how the module search works from inside a package.]

  and the referred URL documents Python 1.5.  I presume that nothing
  significant has changed recently, but it's certainly disconcerting for
  something as fundamental as module importing to not actually be part of the
  core language documentation!

Thomas