[Python-Dev] imputil and modulefinder replacements

Thomas Heller thomas.heller@ion-tof.com
Fri, 5 Oct 2001 14:39:33 +0200

[Thomas]
> > Your metapath models Python's import policy. One part of the
> > policy is that already loaded modules are fetched from
> > sys.modules instead of imported again. Should this behaviour also
> > be modeled by a SysModulesCacheDirector on your metapath?

[Gordon]
> That's already done by the ImportManager as soon as he's got
> a candidate fqname.
I know this. I thought of moving this from ImportManager into
an ImportDirector. Probably doesn't matter too much.

> The entire subject seems to have dropped off radar, after
> starting out as highly controversial (the Import-SIG was started
> so the ihooks-partisans could hash it out with the imputil-
> partisans). Import hacks are more common than ever, but
> they're all home-grown now.
You thought of replacing the import hacks by custom import
policies implemented with imputil or iu4? No chance, IMO.

Several reasons I can think of:
- Import hacks have this cool touch...
- Import hacks start out to help the developers, but they never
get cleaned up for the poor user (pmw being an exception!)

Thomas