[Python-Dev] reload() et al. (Re: [Import-sig] Re: Proposal for a modified import mechanism.)

Prabhu Ramachandran Prabhu Ramachandran <prabhu@cyberwaveindia.com>
Thu, 15 Nov 2001 22:33:52 +0530

[Greg Ward on from A import B]

[Just van Rossun on Thomas's cool autoreload]
    >> I don't see "enhanced reloading" as a way to modify long
    >> running processes, but a way to shorten the development cycle.

    TH> That's exactly what I had in mind.

    TH> More and more I hear complaints from people, that even a C++
    TH> program can be changed while running in the debugger (under
    TH> certain circumstances), so why not Python?

Indeed, that is pretty much the same reason I tried to keep my imports
clean.  I sometimes use a reload_all function to reload modules while
I develop code.  Of course, it doesn't handle already instantiated
objects and its not really meant for long running applications but it
sure is convenient.

prabhu