[Python-Dev] (Don't Read If You're Busy With 2.1b2) "Rich" Comparisons?

Tim Peters tim.one@home.com
Fri, 23 Mar 2001 16:47:41 -0500

[Moshe]
> The mathematical definition for max() I learned in Calculus 101 was
> "the smallest element which is > then all arguments"

Then I guess American and Dutch calculus are different.  Assuming you meant
to type >=, that's the definition of what we called the "least upper bound"
(or "lub") or "supremum" (or "sup"); and what I suppose you call "min" we
called "greatest lower bound" (or "glb") or "infimum".  I've never before
heard max or min used for these.  In lattices, a glb operator is often called
"meet" and a lub operator "join", but again I don't think I've ever seen them
called max or min.

[Guido]
>>  These functions are supposed to return one of their arguments

[Moshe]
> Why?

Because Guido said so <wink>.  Besides, it's apparently the only meaning he
ever heard of; me too.