[Python-Dev] Re: Sets: elt in dict, lst.include

Guido van Rossum guido@digicool.com
Tue, 30 Jan 2001 19:28:44 -0500

> Not really.  Available time is finite, and this isn't at the top of the list
> of things I'd like to see (resuming the discussion of generators +
> coroutines + iteration protocol comes to mind first).

OK, get going on that one then!

> >> Cool!  Can we resist adding
> >>
> >>     if key:value in dict
> >>
> >> for "parallelism"?  (I know I can ...)
>
> > That's easy to resist because, unlike ``for key:value in dict'', it's
> > not unambiguous:
>
> But
>
>     if (key:value) in dict
>
> is.  Just trying to help whoever *does* want the PEP <wink>.

OK, I'll pronounce -1 on this one.  It looks ugly to me -- too
reminiscent of C's if (...) required parentheses.  Also it suggests
that (key:value) is a new tuple notation that might be useful in other
contexts -- which it's not.

> > I'm certainly more comfortable with just ``for key in dict'' than with
> > the whole slow of extensions using colons.
>
> What about just the
>
>     for key:value in dict
>     for index:value in sequence
>
> extensions?

I'm not against these -- I'd say +0.5.

> The degenerate forms (omitting x or y or both in x:y) are
> mechanical variations so are likely to get raised.

For those, +0.2.

> > But, again, that's for the PEP to fight over.
>
> PEPs are easier if you Pronounce on things you hate early so that those can
> get recorded in the "BDFL Pronouncements" section without further ado.

At your service -- see above.