[Python-Dev] PEP 227 checkins to follow

Jeremy Hylton jeremy@alum.mit.edu
Thu, 25 Jan 2001 15:02:46 -0500 (EST)

I am about to check in the changes that implemention PEP 227.  There
are many changes, which I will make via separate commits.  You might
want to wait until the checkins are done to do an update.  I'll send a
note when I'm done.

I also wanted to mention that the PEP has fallen a little out of
date.  There are a few wrinkles that it doesn't deal with, e.g.
    def f(x):
        def g(y):
            return x + y
        del x
        return g

For now, this raises a SyntaxError.

I'll flesh out the PEP to reflect the current implemention and spec
out some of the less obvious cases.

I'd welcome any comments on the code itself.  I know there are a
number of rough edges and also, most likely, a bunch of memory leaks.
I'll be working to clean things up before 2.1a2, but wanted to get the
code into CVS ASAP.

Jeremy