[Python-Dev] (no subject)

Eric S. Raymond esr@thyrsus.com
Wed, 24 Jan 2001 19:15:10 -0500

Tim Peters <tim.one@home.com>:
> Because non-Windows platforms shouldn't be bothered with Windows silliness
> any more than Windows users should be bothered with Unix silliness.  BROWSER
> isn't of any use on Windows, and REGISTRY isn't of any use on Unix.  Eric
> may still *think* BROWSER is of use on Windows, but if so that's not really
> a technical problem <wink>.

Actually that's not something I have an opinion on.  I addressed the
original question because I know it would be technically possible to set
a BROWSER variable under Windows.  Yes, an unlikely move, but possible.

A man who has nothing which he is willing to fight for, nothing
which he cares about more than he does about his personal safety,
is a miserable creature who has no chance of being free, unless made
and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself.
	-- John Stuart Mill, writing on the U.S. Civil War in 1862