[Python-Dev] _tkinter and setup.py

M.-A. Lemburg mal@lemburg.com
Mon, 22 Jan 2001 15:38:14 +0100

Thomas Wouters wrote:

> On Mon, Jan 22, 2001 at 11:52:17AM +0100, M.-A. Lemburg wrote:
> > "M.-A. Lemburg" wrote:
>
> > > I think the policy in setup.py should be to output warnings,
> > > but continue building the rest of the Python modules.
>
> > I haven't heard anything from the powers to be... what should the
> > policy be for auto-detected and -configured modules ?
>
> I think Andrew is still working on a way to disable modules from the command
> line somehow. (I think moving setup.py to setup.py.in, and using autoconf
> --options would be easiest on both developer and user, but that's just me.)

This is fairly simple to do: distutils allows great flexibility
when it comes to adding user options, e.g. we could have

python setup.py --enable-tkinter --disable-readline

or more generic

python setup.py --enable-package tkinter --disable-package readline

The options could then be edited in setup.cfg.

> I also think everyone agrees with you that a module that can't be build
> shouldn't stop the entire process in the final release (and possibly the
> betas) but that it's definately a good way to debug setup.py in the alphas.

True... but currently the only way to get Python to compile is
to hand-edit setup.py and this is not easy for people with no
prior distutils experience.

BTW, in my case, setup.py did find the TK-libs for 8.0, but for
a beta version -- as a result, _tkinter.c's version #error line
triggered and the build failed.

--
Marc-Andre Lemburg